Tuesday 17 June 2014

Oh The Pressure...

Today I’m sharing a recent order that I managed to design and complete in 5 days.
The customer had mentioned at least two months previously that she would like me to design and create a wedding card. I gave her my contact details but then didn’t hear from her so presumed she had changed her mind.
When I did catch up with her and asked her about it, she said she had totally forgotten to send me the details of what she wanted but could I still do it – for the following week!
“Of course” I said,  “no problem” I said!
Now ordinarily that time scale would not be a problem for a ‘normal’ wedding card but this was no normal wedding card - the remit:  “Alice in Wonderland, red, white and blue, make my card stand out above all the others and make it big” !
“Er…ok, any other instructions”?
“No, just go for it, oh and the bride has got blue hair and the groom’s hair is silver”
Well they sound like my kinda people!
So the photos you see here are the result of that conversation and I did manage to complete this in 5 days so the customer could collect it in plenty of time before the wedding. 
(the last pic is the box lid)






The customer is the bride’s mother so the pressure was really on, not just to finish it in time but to get it right. She absolutely loved it - I’m not sure what I would have done if she hadn’t!
I’m not sure that I would want to do this again though. I’m happy to take on last minute orders for cards or anything else. I have done many times but they’ve been orders for quite basic A5 size cards. This one really did put me under the spotlight (and it was very hot under there)  it didn’t go completely smoothly and there were a couple of false starts and do overs. This has taught me I don’t function well under the whip!
I’ve yet to catch up with the customer to find out if the bride and groom did indeed like the card and if it filled the brief so I’ll have to report back on that at a later date.

(this was a completely unique card just for them so in respect to that there’s no tutorial)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read any comments and feedback!