Wednesday 24 September 2014

Turn Me Over Stamped Tissue Technique

This project is for the Craft Stamper magazine challenge…the link is just over to the left.
The challenge this month is for the technique of stamping onto tissue paper.
I have used tissue paper before when wanting to get a design onto canvas but usually by printing my image on it rather than stamping. I have a bit of a collection of different stamps so I should really stamp rather than print more often - I’ve purchased the magazine every month since I discovered it so I have all the free stamps to choose from!
I have made a couple of necklaces from Tim Holtz Grunge Board recently so decided to use the technique to create another one of these necklaces. I wanted to create a double sided pendant that was large enough to accommodate the stamps I had chosen without losing too much of the design. A pendant that could be just switched around to reveal a new design on the other side.
The only circle die I have is one of the XCut thin types and this would not cut through Grunge Board but I put it through my Big Shot a couple of times so it would leave a guide line for me to then cut the circle out with a craft knife - I wasn’t too bothered about it being perfectly round at this stage (I could not cut a straight line with a craft knife if my life depended on it, let alone a perfect circle)!
I painted it with white GeeSo Good Gesso then a layer of Docrafts Acrylic Paint in Tea Pink. I used a makeup sponge to dab some Docrafts Lavender Acrylic Paint through a Prima Marketing Raindrop Stencil to create little splodges on each side. I then used a fine liner pen in black to outline the little splodges.
The stamps I used are Stampers Anonymous (title unknown) and Stampede ‘Dreaming of You’ - I stamped the images onto Hobbycraft White Tissue Paper with Memento Tuxedo Black then I coloured with Letraset Promarkers (Wild Cranberry, Pink Lobster, Winter Berry, Rock Pool, Sandstone) on the reverse side of one of the images. I felt that the splodgey bits of lavender paint on one side of the pendant were enough colour for the other image.

Then it was just a case of a layer of Mod Podge Gloss Lustre on the pendant, tear around the tissue paper image to fit and lay it onto the pendant, add another coat of Mod Podge on top to seal and leave to dry. Repeat with the other side.
To add more texture and interest, I used a Star stamp that came free with an issue of Craft Stamper and stamped randomly with a Versamark Watermark Stamp Pad, then embossed with Debbie Moore Metal Magic Antique Gold Embossing Powder. I also used this powder on the metal birds.
I mixed some of the Antique Gold with some Heat It Up Black Embossing Powder and used this for the Recollections Bird Cage and also the rim of the pendant. This is why I wasn’t too bothered about cutting a perfect circle - I knew I was going to edge the pendant with embossing powder. I added a small Prima Marketing Brad from the Engraver range to the top of the cage - with its ‘legs’ snipped off first, then added one of the birds to the bottom of the cage. I added the two remaining birds to the other side. Docrafts Ultimate Craft Glue in Clear was my adhesive of choice on this project.

This is quite a large statement piece - it's four inches in diameter(!) so I kept the chain part fairly simple, just bronze coloured chain, findings and some small dark pink beads.

The technique of stamping onto tissue paper has almost endless possibilities in crafting - allowing you to add your favourite stamp designs to almost anything. As well as cards, canvas, boxes, mannequins, furniture, candles etc,  it’s perfect for this type of jewellery making.

I love that this is reversible - just turn the necklace round and you’re wearing a brand new design!

Watch this space for some matching earrings and a cuff bracelet lol x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read any comments and feedback!